The 2019 Rural Ontario Foresight Papers is a collection of six papers on selected themes as prepared by expert authors.
Each Foresight Paper explores a particular topic in view of the current situation in rural and northern Ontario and looks ahead to what directions various stakeholders, governments or non-profits might follow in order to foster vital rural development in light of the trends and opportunities the authors foresee. The Papers offer an opportunity for rural stakeholders to be informed by the perspectives of these authors and to consider the implications for their own work or their own communities.
The complete English Rural Ontario Foresight Papers 2019 can be found here.
- Energy Use and the Rural Homeowner, Don Eaton, Advisor, Elora Environment Centre; Northern Perspective prepared by Amanjit Garcha
- Access to Quality Medical and Health Services, John C Hogenbirk (lead), Senior Research Associate, Centre for Rural and Northern Health Research; Jennifer Walker, co-author, Canada Research Chair in Indigenous Health, Laurentian University; Alain Gauthier, co-author, Assistant Professor, Laurentian University; Northern Perspective prepared by Hilary Hagar
- Water, Water Everywhere - When the Storm Water Flows, Joyce McLean, Environmental Communications Consultant, past member International Joint Commission; Northern Perspective prepared by Hilary Hagar
- New Approaches to First Nation Infrastructure Challenges - The Nipissing First Nation Experience, Dwayne Nashkawa, Chief Executive Officer, Nipissing First Nation; Northern Perspective prepared by Amanjit Garcha
- Workforce Development in Rural Ontario - A Snapshot, Carol Simpson (lead with workforce planning boards of Ontario), (former) Executive Director, Workforce Planning Board of Waterloo Wellington Dufferin; Northern Perspective prepared by Amanjit Garcha
- Services for an Aging Rural Population, Mark Skinner (lead), Professor and Canada Research Chair in Rural Aging, Health and Social Care, Trent University; Elizabeth Russel, co-author, Assistant Professor, Trent University; Northern Perspective prepared by Hilary Hagar
French Rural Ontario Foresight Papers:
The 2017 Rural Ontario Foresight Papers are below:
Included with each of the Papers is a corresponding northern commentary prepared by the Northern Policy Institute.
Complete Print Edition - English
Complete Print Edition - French
Watch: David Freshwater gives a brief overview of his paper, Growth Beyond Cities
Watch: Michael Fenn gives a brief overview of his paper, The Impact of Megatrends
Watch: Tracy Birtch gives a brief overview of her paper, Rural Volunteerism
The Papers were commissioned by the Rural Ontario Institute as part of the Measuring Rural Community Vitality initiative.